South African RECIPES
MAKES : ± 15 • DIFFICULTY: MEDIUM
PREP TIME : 10 MINS • DOUGH RISE TIME : 60 MINS
- 6¾ cups flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- Lukewarm water
- Cooking oil (for frying)
Cooking Instructions: How to make the dough
- Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Pour yeast in flour and knead.
- Keep adding water and knead until you have a consistency like a bread dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with a cloth.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 45 to 60 minutes until it is about double its original size.
Cooking Instructions: How to make the vetkoek
- Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan to have about 3 or 4cm of oil in the pan. Heat the oil to about 375°F (200°C).
- Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the dough until it is about 3 centimetres thick and about the size of your palm.
- Place two or three pieces of the flattened dough at a time into the oil. Fry each side until golden brown.
- Serve with savoury mince, cheese or jam.
MAKES : 6-8 • DIFFICULTY: EASY
PREP TIME : 10 MINS • COOK TIME : 40 MINS
- 2 onions, sliced
- sunflower oil or butter
- 1 kg minced meat (mutton, beef or leftover cold, grilled meat)
- 1 slice bread
- ½ C (125 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp (20 ml) medium curry powder
- 4 tsp (20 ml) chutney
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground coriander
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) vinegar or juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Granny Smith apple, coarsely grated (optional)
- 10 almonds
- ½ C (125 ml) seedless raisins
Preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
Fry the onions lightly in hot cooking oil or butter and, if uncooked meat is used, fry with the onions until slightly cooked and crumbly. Soak the bread in the milk for 5 minutes. Squeeze to remove the milk and mash the bread.
Mix the fried onions, meat and mashed bread with the rest of the ingredients, except the topping ingredients. Spoon the mixture into a greased oven dish. Roll up the bay or lemon leaves and insert in an upright position into the meat mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes if uncooked meat is used and for 10 minutes if cooked meat is used. Beat the milk and egg together and pour over the half-cooked meat. Bake for another 30 minutes.
Serve with rice, poppadums and sambals.
INGREDIENTS : 16 • SERVINGS : 8
DIFFICULTY: EASY • TIME : 15 MINS
For the pastry:
- 2 Tbs butter - please not margarine!
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- pinch salt
For the filling:
- 2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180 degrees ºC.
Blitz all the ingredients together in a food processor or with an electric beater until it all clumps together to form a dough.Press into a lightly greased 24 cm tart dish. Chill in the fridge while preparing the filling.
Heat the milk in a medium pot(do not boil). Beat the yolks and sugar until creamy and light then add the flours and salt - the mixture will be quite thick. Add some warm milk to the egg mixture and then return all of it to the pot.
Bring to the boil and whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form and fold into the custard.
Pour into the chilled pastry case and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake for +- 30 minutes.
INGREDIENTS : ABOUT 7 • SERVINGS : 1
DIFFICULTY: MEDIUM• TIME : 5 MINS
- 500ml sugar
- +30ml apricot jam
- +10ml bicarbonate of soda
- +10ml vinegar
- +4 eggs
- +750ml flour
- +60ml Stork Bake, melted
- +250ml milk
- +200ml Stork Bake, melted
- +250ml sugar
- +100ml milk
- +125ml brandy
- To Serve
- +1 Whipped cream
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the apricot jam and beat well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour into a 2 - 3l ovenproof dish and bake at 180°C for 20 - 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and pour the hot sauce over it.
- Serve with whipped cream.
- Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour over pudding while still warm.